Monday, August 1, 2016

Week 10: Down The Home Stretch

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go ~ T.S. Eliot

Nine weeks ago, when deciding on the Hal Higdon Advanced 2 training plan; there were two series of workouts that most worried me:

Week 9: Satuday - 9 miles @ MP; Sunday - 20 mi
Week 11: Saturday - 10 miles @ MP; Sunday - 20 mi

These workouts contained the most miles at marathon pace followed by twenty mile efforts the next day.

Though the conditions weren't ideal out there; I successfully completed the Week 9 workouts this past weekend; gaining a ton of confidence in the process.

On Saturday, I followed the pre-race routine I will use come game day:  10 minute warmup, plyometrics, 3 x 15 sec strides. I then towed up to an imaginary starting line; and got through 9 miles at 7:12 average pace. This was 8 seconds slower than my goal MP, but I adjusted slightly to account for the high humidity levels. It was a tough effort; but I felt strong and actually considered going further; until I realized I had a 20 miler the next morning.

On Sunday; I decided to use a new route I had researched that I thought would keep my mind fresh and focused. Heading out, I felt surprisingly good considering the effort from the day before. I made a decision to go slower than what the plan probably called for. I wanted to be sure I had a consistent effort for 20 miles. Something I had had a 50% success rate of looking at all of my long runs in the cycle. I wanted to get a fair assessment of my overall strength after 3 hours moving on my feet.

After 15 miles; my legs felt a bit heavy, but it proved to be more of a mental game than physical. I was able to hold a steady MP + 115 second pace through mile 20. Time spent running: 3 hours 43 seconds.

Towards the end of those 20 miles, I could actually begin to visualize myself BQ'ing next month. It no longer was a question of whether I was fit enough; or had enough endurance. It started to click that this would all come down to how much I wanted it; how much I would be ready to endure the physical pain and mental fatigue in getting to the finish line under 3:10:00.

I think that by following and executing this training plan, I've positioned myself with enough fitness to run a 3:05 marathon. I have no doubt now. The ultimate challenge will be navigating what goes on between the ears 22 miles into the race. That is where I start to turn my focus.

Here's how the remaining 5 weeks look:


Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Weekly Mileage
10 4 m run 7 x 800 5 m run Rest Rest Half Marathon 5 m run 37
11 5 m run 8 x 800 5 m run 40 tempo Rest 10 m pace 20 55
12 5 m run 6 x hill 5 m run 30 tempo Rest 4 m pace 12 40
13 4 m run 30 tempo 4 m run 4 m pace Rest 4 m run 8 31
14 3 m run 3 m pace Rest Rest 2 m run Marathon   36

Only two weeks to go until taper!

-J



No comments:

Post a Comment