Thursday, August 11, 2016

Reflections

Set a goal so big that you can't achieve it until you grow into the person who can ~Anonymous

Before I get ahead of myself; there are still two important workouts left before training transitions into the taper phase:

Saturday: 10 miles @ MP
Sunday: 20 miles

That said, come Sunday around 9am, you just might hear a scream of pure joy emanating from the roads of Capitol Hill; our marathon training cycle will have officially peaked. 

It's been a journey; completing 11 weeks of some of the most intensive athletic training of my life. Christine and I have sacrificed a lot this summer to chase our goal of qualifying for Boston. Waking up before 5am to get runs in. Going to bed at 9pm to make sure we get in a solid eight hours of sleep. Running through some of the worst heat and humidity DC has seen in years. We've missed birthday parties and celebratory occasions because they interfered with our training schedule. We've traveled less. Practically gave up alcohol. Haven't spend time with friends or family nearly as much as we would have liked. Even our dog has had enough.

But, this is a moment to be proud of. I don't mean to overstate or overemphasize the sacrifices of training for a marathon. Millions of people have done it before. Everyone makes sacrifices in life for their goals. I'm just especially gratified of this one; just two years ago I was 235 pounds and unable to run more than 2 miles at a time. Now I am logging close to 60 miles this week and have dropped my weight to 175. I'm officially a runner reborn. And in serious need of a new wardrobe.

No matter what happens in 3 weeks at Marquette, it's the voyage that matters. Someday, Christine and I will run in Boston together. It will happen. I've learned so much about myself from the past 3 months, and I'm sure Christine can say the same. The focus, drive, and determination required to get ourselves to the starting line for a 26.2 mile race with a legitimate chance of qualifying for one of the toughest marathons in the world is no small feat. I'm incredibly proud and honored to have done this with my wife. No matter what happens at our first marathon together, there will be another. And another. Any many more, god willing.

Just wanted to share this.


-J


No comments:

Post a Comment