Thursday, July 28, 2016

Drop it Like it's Hot

The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

I am never training for another marathon through the heart of a DC Summer. Just wanted to put that out there. The past 2 weeks have been intense. Every run has been a struggle.

Back in High School/College; all the running during July and August in preparation for Fall XC was base building. Long runs, slow miles. Very different than doing intensive training for a marathon. Mentally, I wasn't prepared for this. Even though I'm getting out around sunrise; the humidity has caused the most misery. This past Monday, a 4 mile recovery run was honestly the most difficult "easy miles" run of my life. The dew point was 78. By any metric; that's awful.

I've managed to make it through every workout, except for a 45 minute tempo run earlier this week. After 33 minutes; I was on E and though I should have tried to push through the fatigue, I dropped off and jogged it back in. Still frustrated at myself for that one. This morning was 4 @ MP; which I pushed through. I'm a bit scared of the 9 @ MP Saturday; followed by 20 on Sunday.

Overall, I actually feel very strong. It's a weird feeling; once I get outside all that strength and energy seems to be sucked out of my core fairly quickly. Next weekend is the half marathon time trial that I'm just hoping for decent conditions. I think I could go sub 1:28; maybe 1:27:30. Not going to put pressure on myself though. I just want a solid and focused effort leading up to Marquette.

Biggest concern so far has been that all of my long runs have been slow miles. I haven't been able to put in any miles at MP at the end of any of the long runs. From everything I've read; the best indicator of being able to hit your marathon goal pace is the ability to do long run fast finishes.

Otherwise; finally seeing dividends after laying off alcohol for the past few months. Down to ~178 lbs. This is definitely the fittest I've been since college. Although, life has pretty much been run, work, eat, sleep, repeat. I miss fun Jay. Did treat myself to a brew at the Nationals game last weekend. Living wild!

-J


No comments:

Post a Comment