Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Week 5??? Week 5!

Seek a calling. Even if you don't know what that means. Seek it.
If you're following your calling, the fatigue will be easier to bear, the disappointment will be fuel, the highs will be like nothing you've ever felt. ~ Phil Knight


Can't believe we're already into Week 5! Days are flying by and we both are feeling stronger each week.

Generally, we have been eating well and really limiting our craft beer intake during the week. We have also made the decision to go just about alcohol-free beginning after July 4th through race day. Hoping this pays huge dividends, because it's definitely a sacrifice during these summer months.

This past weekend I took my wife to NYC for her birthday and had the opportunity to run in Central Park for the first time. I fell in love with the ~ 6 mile Park Drive loop. We had perfect weather, and were able to get in our 10 miles on Sunday and a shakeout 4 miler on Monday. I joked with Christine about coming up to NYC each weekend just to do our long runs in Central Park. The tourists on bikes are a bit of a wild card, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more scenic run.

Before heading up to NYC, I shifted our 6 miles at MP from Saturday to Friday evening. This was awkward because we had a moderate effort tempo run the day before, and I really didn't want to go back-to-back on moderate+ workouts. To ease the strain some, I advocated for us to do the marathon pace run during the evening to allow for 36 hours of rest, and a chance for the temperature/humidity to drop. 

This effort represented the longest run at MP so far in the program. Knowing how difficult the 4 miles @ MP was for me the prior week, I began to psych myself up the day before/day of, getting into a race preparation-like mindset. I tried to get in extra sleep; made sure I ate well, and focused on what that feeling would be like when I completed the workout.

It worked. I actually felt very strong throughout. Whereas the 4 miles at MP from the prior week was a 10/10 effort, this was more like 8+/10. My splits were:

7:06
7:14
7:06
7:09
7:11
6:56

Overall a few seconds above my 7:04 MP goal; but I intentionally held a little something back. In that last 6:56 split, I picked it up on the last quarter, ending in a full out effort the last 100 meters.

Christine got out there too, and put in a solid 5 at MP. I've encouraged her to post a more comprehensive update on her progress. She's been doing great. I've been really proud of her overall dedication to this training plan. I understand how difficult it is for someone who has completed several marathons to transition to a structured time goal specific program. I sometimes lose sight of the fact that I have many years around structured race plans and this is all new to her. There's no better feeling though than seeing her come home with a big smile on her face, excited to share that she crushed her run.

-J

Rest of Week 5:

Thursday: 7 miles @ MP
Friday PM: 40 minute tempo
Saturday: OFF
Sunday: 16 miles
 

No comments:

Post a Comment